The Latest Solution to Remove Nook DRM (Tried and Tested)
Tips and Tricks • August 21, 2020
DRM and book backup is a big headache for many Nook owners. Now Barnes & Noble discontinued the Nook for PC/Mac, it even changed it’s DRM protection in 2019, this makes many people failed to remove DRM from nook with Calibre.
So, how can we safeguard our nook ebook future? I have tested and tried many ways, and did succeed in downloading Nook books and remove DRM from Nook with Calibre. Now, let’s get the latest way to remove Nook DRM and read Nook books on Kindle, Kobo, etc.
Way 1: Remove DRM from nook books via Calibre
In 2019, nook changed how their encryption works, so most of the tutorials on using Calibre as a Nook DRM removal fails.
I test the method someone showed at the DeDRM plugin forum and did successfully remove the DRM from Nook books. Here, I show you how.
To remove DRM from Nook book we need Calibre and DeDRM plugin from Apprentice Alf and most important is to get the key of nook books. below are the steps I took to strip the DRM from nook epubs on Windows 10. This worked on 8/27/2020 on regular ebooks.
Step 1. Download Nook books
1. First, download and install Nook for windows.
2. Run Nook and Log into the app with your Nook account. Next just click the book cover to download the book you needed in your library.
3. where are my nook books stored?
You can find your downloaded Nook epubs at – C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc\LocalState (please replace <username> with your own username)
Step 2: Get the hash key for removing DRM from Nook
1. Download the latest Android SDK: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html#tos-header
2. Download the rootGLP scripts: https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3572604&d=1449830207
3. Extract and save the file to your PC
4. On your nook, tab Settings > About then click on the nook icon > Android Development Settings > Enable USB Debugging
5. Connect nook to your PC
6. Launch a command line and change directory to the saved Android SDK.
7. click and run the saved rootnook.cmd
8. In the nook’s shell, run ‘cat /data/data/bn.ereader/databases/cchashdata.db, then you will get an output where you can find a 28 character hash ending in =, Copy the hash to a text file and save it.
Step 3: Set DeDRM on Calibre
If you have followed my tips on removing DRM from Kindle books, then you have already finished the install DeDRM process, please jump to the last step.
1. Download De-DRM Plugin here: https://github.com/apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools/releases
2. Click on Calibre > Preferences > Advanced > Plugins > load plugin from file
3. Find DeDRM_plugin.zip. and Open it. the DeDRM plugin will displayed under the file type plugins.
5. Click Customize plugin, and then click Barnes and Noble ebooks and input the hash key we get to the field.
Step 4: Convert Nook books to Kindle Mobi format
The next step is to Click Add books > choose Mobi as the target format. then click ok.
Way 2: Remove Nook DRM with Epubor Ultimate
After publishing this article, many people asked is there an easier way to get the key for removing DRM from Nook, so I’ve decided to update this post and add another way of removing DRM from Nook so that they are applicable to users who find the Calibre way hard to follow.
Do a search in google for Nook DRM removal, we’ll find many apps that claim they can remove DRM from Nook epub, but in my test, Epubor Ultimate is an only workable tool that does remove DRM from Nook books.
On May 2019, B&N upgraded their Nook Windows app and has changed its DRM scheme, Epubor acts quickly and add release a new version of its BN DRM removal on October 2019. In my test, I removed three DRM from Nook ebook successfully, and this includes a comic book.
Note: Epubor now only works on removing Nook DRM on Windows. If you are using a Mac, you can contact the Epubor team for technical assistant.
Step 1: You need to download NOOK books to computer, just follow the step one in Calibre to download your Nook books.
Step 2: Download and Run Epubor Ultimate, it will automatically detect and all the Nook book you download at step 1 and list them on the left side of the interface.
Step 3: Now just drag and drop the Nook epub books from the left side to the right, Epubor will then remove the Nook DRM instantly. After decryption, it will mark a “Decrypted” at the end of each book title.
Step 4: If you want to read Nook books on Kindle, you should convert the Nook epub books to Mobi, azw, azw3. to do this just click the “convert to PDF” at the bottom of the interface and choose Mobi as the output format.
Watch the video guide below
If you failed to remove Nook drm, you can contact epubor support team via email email@example.com or open a ticket at ticket.epubor.com. there support team will guide you through the process.